Thursday, June 30, 2011

Moral Premise?

Right now I'm reading a book called the Moral Premise. The author Stanley D. Williams will teach the Early Bird at ACFW in September, and like any good hyper student, I wanted to get a head start on preparing. The Moral Premise reveals the foundational concept at the heart of all storytelling and successful box office movies. In concrete terms it explains how you can create your own success and, in the process, entertain, delight, challenge, and uplift this generation and the ones to come.

Hmmm, that's a lot to offer in one little book!

But as I think more about it, I think the author is on to something. Don't we all want to read books that challenge us to live better lives? That illustrate good v. evil? That show hope and redemption at the end?

One reason I write Christian fiction is my firm belief that if God is with us, which He promises He is, then no matter how bad things seem, there is always hope. And as the movie says, Hope Floats to the surface. Sometimes it just takes longer than other times.

In a nutshell, the premise of the Moral Premise seems to be that a movie or book that will resonate with its audience is one that illustrates the dichotimies of life. Illustrates the differences between choosing well and choosing evil.

The one John Grisham novel I wanted to throw against the wall had Goliath winning rather than David. I don't know about you, but in the books I read and write, I want hope to prevail...after the long, dark night.

4 comments:

Ralene said...

The Moral Premise is on my TBR list this summer. I, too, want to be adequately prepared when I get to the conference.

I hear ya on the hope and stuff in the fiction I read/write. That's why my "brand" is: Where the Light Pierces the Darkness.

Pamela Tracy said...

Cara,
Great suggestion!

Pamela Tracy said...

Ralene,
I love your brand.

Cara Putman said...

It's another twist, another tool to add to the arsenal :-)